Friday 16 August 2013

Friday Reads | 16th August 2013

Earlier in the week I was faced with the daunting task (for me) of reading three books at the same time, two were the same genre and it made it quite difficult. My tiny brain isn't used to such torment and confusion. Luckily, this Friday, I'm only currently reading two books and they are as follows:

GONE GIRL by Gillian Flynn

'Gone Girl', as seen on the cover is hailed as 'thriller of the year' by The Observer, as has since lived up to this claim. 
I've been reading this with my friend, Emily, and I'm just over half way through it. 
It's premise is that Nick Dunne's wife, Amy has suddenly vanished on their fifth wedding anniversary, and the novel is from his current point of view, inter-spliced with diary extracts of Amy's from over the course of the couple's relationship. 
So far it's incredibly well-written but as I'm finding out more and more, it's lexis is not for one who is easily offended. The characters so far are awful, as in, they seem like incredibly arrogant people, but that is what makes this novel and at the moment I'm becoming incredibly invested, I can't wait to see what other twists await in the last third of this thriller.



THE MAZE RUNNER by James Dashner


I have a feeling this is going to develop into your run of the mill dystopian novel. 
The book follows Thomas, who wakes up in a maze, with no memories or clue as to where he may be. The beginning was rather slow and has the most infuriating opening to a YA novel I think I've ever read. It is slowly developing however, and I find myself getting more and more invested into this strange world that these teenage boys have found themselves thrust into. 





I'm hoping to finish 'Gone Girl' soon, and then I shall continue on with 'The Maze Runner'.
Let me know what you're reading this Friday, and leave your blog in the comments so I can find more bloggers.

Happy reading,
Robert.

No comments:

Post a Comment