Wednesday 18 February 2015

BIRDMAN | Film Review (NO SPOILERS)


(Source: soundandsight)
Title: Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
DirectorAlejandro González Iñárritu 
Starring: Michael Keaton, Edward Norton, Zach Galifianakis, Emma Stone, Naomi Watts
Originally Released: 2014
Running Time: 119 mins / 1 hr 59 mins

Premise. A washed-up superhero actor attempts to save his career and salvage his personal life, whilst directing and starring in a Broadway play. Meanwhile, the voice of his former alter-ego, Birdman, is constantly dominating his thoughts.

Thoughts going in: I hadn't seen the trailer, but I had seen an interview with Keaton about the film briefly - I had gained the impression I'd like it, but thought I might find it a little slow.

Thoughts immediately after: Excellent just excellent, but also wtf.

The Film: OK, I have a lot to say about this film but I don't want this to be too long. The directing was exquisite, the whole film is set out exactly like the play it's presenting, one continuous take almost guides the audience through the film. The editing therefore was exceptional, and almost unnoticeable. The film had its issues, its special effects were shaky, yet this felt completely intentional and added to the film's theme of the difference in reality and fiction. The soundtrack was often just a drumbeat, fuelling the film with a similar urgency that eclipsed Whiplash.


(Source: pgtipsonfilms)
The Cast: Ah, what a perfect cast. Probably the best overall cast so far in my Oscar films. Keaton, whilst I didn't really rate him too much, it was obvious whilst onscreen he had Academy Award written all over him. His character's return to acting was matched with his return to the screen and the duality worked perfectly. Norton was a hilarious parody. 'Method-acting', which I've never really been a fan of, was brilliantly parodied with Norton's character, though at times it became a little too unsettling. Each character had two-sides to them, almost. Whilst this was clever and matched this theme I didn't really like how we only gained partial insights into other characters, there's a kiss that I just found a bit jolting and confusing. It almost hinted at this second life that actors have but failed to expand, though I do think this was intentional. Despite that Keaton, Norton, Watts, Galifianakis and to a lesser extent, Stone, give fantastic performances that are parodies of today's acting world.

Final thoughts: Well made film with an excellent cast. I can't say too much without hinting at spoilers. The ending was slightly obvious and I wasn't a fan at first, but the rest of the film had the right amount of drama, allegories and pacing that it's hard not to like this film. What's more is that I feel I've only scratched the surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment