Sunday 22 February 2015

BEST PICTURE PREDICTION | Oscars 2015

(Source)
Hey guys!

This past few weeks I've been reviewing those films nominated for Best Picture

Find attached my review to each of the nominees:
So after all that, I'm ready for Best Picture to be awarded and here's my last prediction. Remember these are simply my opinions on what should win, what will win and what could win.


Should Win: Whiplash
(Source)
Whiplash is without a doubt my favourite of the list, its impacting performances and exquisite direction makes this my winner. Not only did J.K. Simmons astound everyone with his terrifying portrayal as the ominous, domineering Mr. Fletcher, but Miles Teller finally impressed me. Giving his best performance to date (or at least from what I've seen), it becomes hard not to love this film. The cinematography, the score, the sound mixing, everything accumulates to make my favourite film of the list.

Could Win: Boyhood 
(Source)
Boyhood is technically one of the best films on this list, with an incredibly generic premise transformed through the nature of the filming process of twelve years. Linklater could easily snag this award through the touching narrative and perfect execution, but my bet is that he's most likely receiving the Best Director prize, and it will be well-deserved as well. Not too bothered if this does win and I won't be necessarily surprised also.

Will Win: Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
(Source)
Birdman was a really, really good film and fits perfectly in with the theme of previous winners, such as Argo and The Artist. I think this year the Academy could be really vain and vote for a film that is a comment on film itself, and naturally, they all bloody love films.

Whilst The Theory of Everything is also in the running, I feel its appeal may divide critics with it and the likes of The Imitation Game. Further, Selma's snub, yes snub, provides the impression that the Academy aren't too thrilled by it, and so probably won't win. And whilst Whiplash and The Grand Budapest Hotel are the most stylish and distinguished out of the list, I believe they'll be overlooked by an Academy who like all things related to themselves and real life.

I'll be blogging my reactions after the event, and maybe a post or two during the show.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment