Monday 8 June 2015

GOODBYE LANCASTER! | Life



07-06-2015

On the 30th September 2012 I moved to Lancaster University, on the 6th June 2015 I moved back home.

It feels bizarre to leave because I know the feeling of driving back home with the car filled with my bedroom's contents. I know the feeling of taking down pictures that were pinned up in my uni room, to pack clothes into my suitcase, and give the room one last clean. The feeling I received yesterday, however, was very different. A constant to my university life has been the people I've lived with. They've been the people who you can just knock on their door (even the wall) and just ask what they're up to. They're the people I could go to, to distract myself from work. They're the people who cheer you up instantly. The people who you can laugh with. And they're right there. Available nearly all the time. I lived with 11 amazing people in first year, 6 in second year, and 12 this year. It never really hit me that with packing up my room (a standard activity for uni life), that this is the last time I'm going to live with that many people, especially who I am so close to. I can't believe I can't run into their room at midnight for a quick chat, or to watch a film with them. To have a random night out with. It is so sad to me that this has now ended. I'm not moving back to some different flat in Lancaster come September. I don't know what I'm doing. The funny thing is, the uncertainty of life doesn't really phase me, scare me or even upset me. It's the fact that, come September, I won't be sitting in a random living room, eating pizza, playing cards, and having a laughing-fit with my favourite people in the world. 

I know this is completely rambly, clichéd, sentimental etc. but I feel I needed to document these thoughts and have it saved that these past three years have been phenomenal. I was able to feel comfortable about myself in front of everyone. I'm not as shy anymore. I'm not as worried about life anymore. I'm not as dependent. I'm not as naive, nor awkward. Sure, I've retained levels of these attributes, but in the long run, I am completely different for the better. As clichéd and soppy as that reads, it is definitely true. And I don't think for one second I'd be like I am now if I had chosen somewhere else other than Lancaster. Lancaster was the place for me, it was what I needed, not just academically.

If you're toying with the idea of university, give it a go if you are lucky enough to do so. And if you do decide university is for you, take a look in at Lancaster. It's not huge, it's a campus, but it is friendly with a huge list of unique factors. The Guardian just ranked it number 10 in the league tables for a second year.

I leave this post with a collection of many random photos taken over my three years, reminding me that I have had the best experience I could have possibly had, and the pain of it ending just proves how (I hate this word) special it really was. Thanks, Lancs. It's been perfect.











































So long, Lancaster!

No comments:

Post a Comment