Saturday 5 July 2014

WIDE AWAKE by David Levithan (SPOILER FREE)


Title: Wide Awake
Author: David Levithan
Genre: Young Adult / Contemporary / Political
Published by: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Originally Published: 2008
Page Count: 221
Date Read: Put down in January. Picked back up at the end of June.
I have read two David Levithan books previous to this, both fairly different, but it becomes clear that Levithan has a distinct voice that echoes throughout his prose. Most of his books have a wide, diverse set of characters, and it was this reason that I wanted to read more from him.
 Wide Awake is set a little bit into the future, noting the fictional and factual history that has gone before it. All this history has culminated to the election of the USA’s first Jewish, gay President. The novel follows the perspective of a gay Jewish teenager, Duncan, who has tirelessly campaigned and supported the new President a long with a lot of his very liberal friends. However, a dispute with the votes in Kansas means the election is called into question, and Duncan et al decide to head to Kansas to show their support.
 I think this may be my last David Levithan book for a while. Not because this book was terrible, this book was far from terrible. I just find his books overwhelming for some reason. I think with this instance it’s the deep love the protagonist and his boyfriend are in.  I’m trying to find a better word other than mushy, but I can’t seem to find one that truly conveys how I feel about them. I kind of like relationships in which the other person realises the other is being an idiot and isn’t so head-over-heels in love, it gets a little tiresome for me. That said, I really enjoyed the slight, brief romantic life of one of the secondary characters, Gus. Gus was fun, flirty and interesting. Definitely one of the characters that breathed some life into this fairly serious book.
 The novel follows the themes of politics, religion and homosexuality. These are three current overlapping ideals that continue to clash with one another (especially within American society and politics). The novel was interesting as it conveyed that there was a harmonious place for these three to coexist, though I can’t say it’s necessarily a realistic approach. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed Levithan’s attempt to incorporate these ideals together. The parallels with black civil rights were ones I enjoyed, with various quotes and songs that fitted with the response to ignorance within this novel also. I liked the idea with how Levithan used factual American history to convey the injustices not only in his fictional future but also in today’s society.
 I have more to say so may expand some time soon, but for now it was a very interesting read. It feels appropriate in saying nothing really happens in this book but at the same time, a lot does happen. I’m hoping if you’ve read the book you understand my explanation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment