Wednesday 10 July 2013

My Top 3 Book to Movie Adaptations.

So today I thought I'd bring to you, what many have certainly done before me, my favourite book to film adaptations. I've avoided talking about my least favourite for now, maybe I'll do that in the future. But here it is:

"The Hunger Games" (2012)
Dir. Gary Ross | Cast: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth.

What I loved about this film was there was incredibly little for me to complain about. It is a definite mantra that a film will never be as good as its novel counterpart, and with that accepted, The Hunger Games does a pretty good job at not only being very faithful to the book but being an enjoyable, well-acted and very well-made film on its own. I loved Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss, Elizabeth Banks as Effie and Stanley Tucci as Caeser especially.

"Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" (2001)
Dir. Chris Colombus | Cast: Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Emma Watson.

I feel that the introductory film to the massive film franchise was a perfect adaptation. The first book in the Harry Potter series is a much lighter, child-friendly book than its successors and this film matched that. I do feel that if the films had followed this visual style then it would not be as faithful to the books, but as a first in a series of films, compared to the novel, it was a brilliant opener. It was as magical and fantastical as 7-year-old Robert could have hoped for.

"The Perks of Being a Wallflower" (2012)
Dir. Stephen Chbosky | Cast: Logan Lerman, Emma Watson, Ezra Miller.

Wow. I read this book and was blown away. I know of so many people who adore this book, and I know so many people that don't. I always get the impression that at the end of this scale lies the hipster liking it because its deep and mentions the smiths, then later hating it because its popular. Ignoring that, the book to me was so raw and unlike anything I'd ever read before. One thing I loved was it being an epistolary novel. This actually resinated well with the film, Charlie, the protagonist, became a narrator writing the letters, occasionally narrating and introducing parts of his life within the film. The cast in this were everything. They were everything i'd envisaged and I could see those 'friends' I'd made while reading it being brought to life in the energetic and emotional portrayal by Logan, Emma and Ezra especially. An emotional film that still makes me cringe when Charlie kisses the 'wrong girl'.

***

Ultimately, what I think is important is to initially look at a film as a separate medium, because it is! I try to restrict my "well that doesn't happen in the book!" or "they missed this, this and this!" as it does tend to spoil any viewing experience. Yes, each of these films had their flaws but ignore that and what you get is not only a pretty solid stand alone film, but also a fantastic adaptation that can be compared to the book and doesn't spoil the viewing experience.

Thanks for reading guys, hope you're having a lovely day,

Robert.

No comments:

Post a Comment