Sunday 4 January 2015

MISERY | Book Review (NO SPOILERS)

Title: Misery
Author: Stephen King
Originally Published: 1987
Page Count: 369
Genre: Crime / Thriller
Published by: Hodder

Date Read: 21st August 2013 - 4th January 2015 (I put it down almost immediately and essentially read it within two days after picking it back up in January - Don't judge me!) 


My favourite ever genre is crime/thrillers, whether that be with films or books. So it may be surprising that Stephen King's 'Misery' has only just been returned to my bookshelf, read. I have been told countless times to read his books and watch his adaptations, and whilst I've seen 'The Shining' and 'Carrie', ' and whilst my mum has even bought me 'Dolores Claiborne' because she insists I'd love it, I've still never ventured into the world of Stephen King's writing.


Misery was always going to be a story I would enjoy, a macabre plot centred around literature and an unhinged Kathy Bates. Perfect. However, being me, and knowing I would enjoy it, I had to read the book before watching the film and despite opening the book on the 21st August 2013, I only just recently picked the book up again to finish it. I have many reasons, but no justifiable ones.




The novel itself is just exquisite. It follows Paul Sheldon, a writer, who has just finished a new book in a completely new genre. He's recently killed off the heroine in his Victorian-fiction series and is starting a new venture. Unfortunately for Paul, he crashes his car on a drive and who should find him but Annie Wilkes, Paul's "number one fan".

We are then sent on a macabre journey, as Annie becomes Paul's personal nurse, hiding him away from the real world. It becomes clear that Annie is dangerous and she's not very happy that Paul has just killed off the heroine of his earlier novels.


I think we all knew the plot, I even knew before I read it a certain thing that happens, and yet this did not hinder my enjoyment one bit. I consumed this novel in a couple of sittings over two evenings. I read somewhere that the inspiration for this novel came from King being disheartened by fans being annoyed at him for not sticking to the horror genre (no wonder the man invented a pseudonym!), and it becomes very clear that this is some warped allegory for this feeling. Not in a bad way, no, it's executed beautifully.


The writing is impeccable, and aided to the sense of suspense and thrills the novel had to offer. I loved the character of Annie, she was so beautifully hideous. She had a sense of making the reader feel nervous, a very admirable trait.


The only way the novel lacked appeal was at the times in which extracts from Paul's book were transcribed. It just didn't really advance the novel well and seemed to just fill out the novel. It worked just as fine without it.


The ending was gruesome and terrifying and has left me wanting more King. Now let's go watch the film... ★★★★☆ (though probably deserves five... I'll sleep on it.)


No comments:

Post a Comment